Night 2: On the ground of the Philadelphia riots

Night 2: On the ground of the Philadelphia riots night 2 on the ground of the philadelphia riots
Night 2: On the ground of the Philadelphia riots night 2 on the ground of the philadelphia riots

PHILADELPHIA (KYW Newsradio) — Sunday morning was anything but a day of rest for fire crews and police officers, who remained on the scene of chaotic riots from dawn to dusk.

Peaceful protests over the death of Minneapolis black man George Floyd quickly evolved into riots and looting in Center City — namely, the businesses in the shopping district.

Residents volunteered to clean up broken glass and charred remains of debris along Chestnut and Walnut streets Sunday morning.

They showed up by the dozens with brooms.

Protests moved to West Philadelphia, were squadrons deployed smoke bombs and tear gas. KYW Newsradio’s Justin Udo was there, coughing through the smoke:

An officer was injured after someone threw a brick through a police car windshield at 52nd and Arch streets. 

Rioters also set fire to several police cars.

SEPTA shut down all modes of transportation Sunday evening, in line with a citywide curfew. The shutdown was a much larger restriction than the transit agency’s previous coronavirus lifeline service.

As KYW Newsradio brand manager Alex Silverman says, essential workers are left scrambling to get to their jobs in the evening.

“How do they exercise their right as an essential worker to get through that barricade?”

As night fell, looters reappeared in clusters across West and North Philadelphia. The majority were believed to be young people, even teenagers — some who don’t even live in Philadelphia. 

Looters swarmed places like Family Dollar and a Walmart in Port Richmond.

KYW Newsradio’s Kristen Johanson witnessed young children break into a liquor store and neighboring businesses at Broad Street and Allegheny Avenue. One little girl knocked Johanson’s phone out of her hand while live on the air. 

Several calls to 911 were not received.

Business owners did their best to board up their storefronts, but a resounding yet mum message remained: There’s nothing left to loot.

The citywide curfew is lifted at 6 a.m. Monday.

more Philly News (For Your Information)

Leave a Comment