PHILADELPHIA (KYW Newsradio) — The Philadelphia man accused of shooting six cops last month was expected to be in court Thursday for his preliminary hearing, but prosecutors need more time. The city’s district attorney’s office plans to charge him with more counts of attempted murder and assault on law enforcement.
Maurice Hill has already been charged with dozens of such counts, but the homicide supervisor for the DA’s office, Anthony Voci, says Hill will face more, as they continue to investigate.
“We’ve completed about 175 interviews of police personnel. We still have about approximately 75 to go. There’s video that still has to be reviewed. So it’s a process, as I indicated before, that’s going to take months,” Voci said.
“I think when all the dust settles we will be looking at somewhere in the area of three-dozen cases of attempted murder and aggravated assault on police.”
Hill was arrested Aug. 15, after an 8-hour standoff with Philly police that gripped the city. He has already been charged with dozens of such counts, related offenses and drug charges.
Questions linger as to whether DA Larry Krasner should prosecute the case, because he was involved in the telephone negotiations that got the suspect out of the home inn which he had barricaded himself. And about a half-dozen prosecutors listened in on the conversation.
Hill’s defense attorney, Shaka Johnson, who authorities say also helped get Hill out, is not on the case. Hill has a court-appointed attorney.
The hearing is now set for Nov. 14. And in an unusual move, the judge blocked out the entire day for the proceedings.